Monday, June 13, 2005

Garage Sale

Well, we survived the annual Kirk Family Garage Sale! Let me start out by telling you a little about this blessed event. Our garage sales should be featured in a garage sale handbook. We have the most organized, thought out garage sales on the planet. My grandma spends countless hours over at our garage apartment marking & organizing items. Then my mom & I get to town & along with my aunt we seperate things by sizes & put them in boxes & set the whole thing up. And then on Saturday morning, my ENTIRE family gathers at the apartment to open the doors & bring in the dough. Usually it is a profitable event, but not this trip. We all worked very hard to market & sell but do you want to know our GROSS total? A whopping $164. That's not a bad total, right? Well, now divide that number by the SEVEN families that had stuff in it & we only made about $23 a family. We sat out in the sun for 6 hours to make enough money to go buy the lunch:)!! The whole thing is just comical. The most amusing thing about this story is the things that sale for a nickel. Now it almost seems like a waste of a little round sticker if you are going to sell the item for a nickel. I addressed this with my grandmother & she told me that I should stop encouraging my grandpa's threats to stop holding the annual event. The other thing is that people are so funny at garage sales. I had small children come up & ask me if I would take less for an item...now should I really take less than a quarter for ANYTHING?!?!?! And I love that people will go pay $50 for something new at a department store but $2.00 is too much to pay for a POLO shirt with tags still on it at a garage sale. Now don't get me wrong...I LOVE going to garage sales....but having them is another issue. After all of this venting...I have to add that I had a great time. If this wonderful thing we call a garage sale is what it takes to get us all together than it is worth every minute it takes to put it together. We had 10 adults & 8 children gathered together to run this thing (& I guess we didn't do a very good job:). We got to visit, eat & laugh at each others choice in clothing & see the kids play together. So, next time you are in Altus, Oklahoma, check the paper & see if you can stop by our apartment on Elm street for a good time & a GREAT deal:)!!!

No comments: